Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Speak

When I was in High School, this novel appeared on our summer reading list of choices that we could read. However, being in AP, I automatically had my four books assigned and could not choose to read it. My friends all did, and talked about how amazing it was and I always meant to read it just never got the chance. Now that I did, I found it to be alright. Towards the end I found myself waiting for it to be done. I liked the concept of the book, I think I just became extremely annoyed with Melinda and especially annoyed with the adult figures. However, my friends loved it in high school so I guess maybe if I was in high school I might have enjoyed it a bit more. 
I would teach this in my class though. I think it sends a powerful message, that your use of words is your ultimate power, and whether you could use it for a good power or bad. By this I mean, I would point out to my students how awful everyone treated Melinda because she was different. They made fun of her, and did not make her life any better. I would show the students that because someone is different, by bullying them you are not funny because you do not know what has occurred in their lifetime. I would also show that when Melinda finally did use her voice for good, she gained power over her biggest fear. 
I just feel that this book sends out a good message and is easy for teenagers to connect with. Maybe it will do well as a summer reading book like my high school did, or maybe read in class to tie in with another story. Either way, I think it can be taught in class.

1 comment:

  1. "I think it sends a powerful message, that your use of words is your ultimate power, and whether you could use it for a good power or bad."

    I agree with you here Paige. Our ultimate ability to "speak," I think, it one of the more powerful messages in the book. So many young girls feel unable to voice the words and ideas that really matter.

    What do you think you might teach this with?

    ReplyDelete