Tuesday, October 13, 2009

American Born Chinese


The only other graphic novel I read was, "Mouse," in tenth grade. It connected with the novel, "Night," which I remember thinking how awesome it was that our teacher did that, especially since we were so sick of Holocaust books and learning about it. But "Mouse" brought in a new element and we were able to discuss the two books much easier than we were with just reading "Night."
Like Mouse, this book was a fast and enjoyable read. However, it confused me a bit. I think I was trying too hard to make assumptions to how they were connected, that I messed up who was who once they started being each other. If that makes any sense. But if it does, I think that the fact that I confused them, helps prove to the reader how easy it is for people to lose their own identity and become someone else because it is easier. This fits in with the article we read because instead of being creative and coming up with their own ways, new teachers often follow their own teachers to form their lesson plans. What he is trying to say is that we shouldn't be afraid to be ourselves and stray away from the curriculum. 
I think "American Born Chinese," can be taught in school, but the way "Mouse," was taught to me. I do think that substantial novels should be the primary novels taught. Like in the article, when he was describing the two teachers lessons, the novels that he listed were the standard novels that we read when we were in high school. I know we should establish our own identity when teaching, but it is still possible to do whether or not you use a certain book. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm torn on this. I do think more traditional texts should be used, but as a lover of creative writing (don't tell the Standards-makers, but if I could do anything with my students it would be to have them write novels or collections of short stories, poems, comics, whatever, all day, every day!), I think that books like this really reach out to our students. How could they think that reading is boring when faced with a book like this? It is quick, action-packed, and fun, and still gets across a point that many authors use 800 pages to make.
    My goal is to make my students aware of what is out there in terms of writing styles. I guess my thinking is that the Classics were new when they first came out... but people read them and that's how they became classics. I often feel like it's time for a new wave of "classic lit," and hopefully my future classroom can really embrace that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you tied the confusion of the characters to the sense of identity... I never thought about it that way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a little confused at first, too, but once everything started coming together it was so neat! I think students would really like the way this story is tied together. It seems like one that they would be able to relate to very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan of incorporating both traditional texts and more modern texts into a curriculum. Using a traditional text for reading and writing a modern twist is another good way to intertwine the two.

    ReplyDelete