Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Persepolis

I have to admit, this story is unlike any other story I have ever read. I found it extremely interesting esp. because it was a true story. I never knew that they had to tear out pages in their school books that discussed the shah, or had school closed for two years so no one learned incorrect information. To be honest, I don't remember learning about the Islamic Revolution...which kinda says something about my schooling.

Anyway, I feel this book should be taught in high school. It is interesting and a powerful story. WAYYY better than actually reading a memoir, atleast to kids who are not all that interested in reading. It is hard for me to imagine why kids would not read a story that we give them to read, but that is just because I enjoyed reading in high school. I think it is important to show all types of literature that there is, because those kids who don't like reading, may not enjoy the standard novels, but may enjoy graphic ones. And if they have a book in their hands, what's wrong with that?

I liked the part in the article that discussed the wordless story. I think by having them analyze the pictures then make their own story, not only helps them with writing, but creativity too. It will pair well with art classes. Maybe for this activity, art students could draw a series of pictures, and then give them to the students in English classes. That way students have more of an opportunity connecting with the art piece and enjoy writing. My school always had an art show at the end of the year and students were able to show all of their work (literature included...I had a play performed!). All of our hallways were decorated in students' art pieces and it was great. If we were to have done the wordless story activity in our high school, I'm sure it would have been a big hit in the art show.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the interdisciplinary thinking you demonstrated regarding this novel. I would love to see what an art, English, and social studies collaboration centered around this text might yield! Lots of excellent possibilities and connections for our students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed the wordless story section in the article... I think, being an elementary school guy, it would be great for a creative writing lesson or activity. I think kids would enjoy it and get a lot out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that I had never learned about the Islamic revolution, but I think that goes to show what schools choose to focus on (or lack of focus on) certain things to teach.
    I think this book would be beneficial in a classroom, because there is a lot you can do with it. One of the things that I thought was interesting was the focus on western culture. Although there was not a lot of mention about it, what they did mention was very powerful. It really showed how they felt about western culture, and I think that this topic would lead to a good discussion in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't think about including the art teacher in a cross-curricular unit plan. My mind of course went right to the history teacher and then stopped. :) Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a lot of us haven't had much information in the past about the Islamic Revolution. In a classroom setting, it would probably be beneficial to have a lesson about background information for the Revolution before just jumping right in.

    ReplyDelete